The Tea Rose Trilogy by Jennifer Donnelly



Over Christmas break this year, I started to reread a trilogy that I tore through as a teen. "The Tea Rose" trilogy by Jennifer Donnelly follows the story of Fiona Finnegan and her family in late 1900s England. For any of you out there that enjoy historical fiction, star crossed lovers, and inspiring female protagonists, keep reading because this series is for you.

"The Tea Rose" introduces us to Fiona and the slums of London at the height of Jack the Ripper. Fiona struggles with her parents to make ends meet and keep food on the table for herself and her many siblings. Fiona works tirelessly in a tea packing warehouse dreaming of the day that she and her childhood sweetheart, Joe Bristow, have the money to open their own shop. But when tragedy strikes, and strikes, and strikes again, Fiona must flee to New York where she vows to make it own her own and bring justice to those who have hurt her.

The second and third novels span the course of several decades, bringing the characters through World War One and its aftermath. Donnelly's characters live through some of the most fascinating times in history and often run right along side figures who changed the course of the world.

I won't sugar coat it, there are parts of these books that read like romance novels (I also won't lie and pretend that I'm above a good romance novel-esque scene) and as a teenager I can remember being enthralled by the intensely passionate relationships that the characters have. However, upon a second reading as an adult I now see the layers that these characters' relationship are built upon over the span of three novels and I think it is a testament to Jennifer Donnelly that she is able to craft such three dimensional characters. This reading I found myself

These books are rather long, with "The Winter Rose" breaking seven hundred pages, but they are very easy to read. Donnelly does a fantastic job of pacing her chapters without spending too much time with one character or one event. I highly recommend this series for anyone that loves a delightful period drama.

Comments