Welcome Fearless Readers





Welcome fearless readers to a world where anyone can be an avid reader and anyone can discover a love of Literature--both great works and small.  I have recently fallen in love with an amazing subscription service: Book of the Month Club. This wonderful club allows avid readers to choose one book from a list of five to be delivered to their house each month. Should you be stricken with an overwhelming fear of choosing just one book (as I so often am) you can select two more for the month for only ten dollars each. Now these aren't just any cheap paperback books. These are hardback, new novels that the judges feel will soon grace the pages of the bestseller list. I haven't sat down and crunched the numbers on this one, but a typical hardback book will cost you around 30 dollars these days and I am getting three a month for about 20. Its an incredible deal if you love reading! 

This subscription service has increased the amount that I read exponentially, helping me to achieve a goal of mine for the last year and a half: to read at least two books a month. With this new goal came a new opportunity: to suggest books to those I love. It has become a passion of mine to pass along the books I've been reading to the people I work with, family members, and friends. So why are we here? We are here to come together to hear me, nothing more than an avid reader, discuss the books that I've been reading. If one sounds great leave a comment, borrow it from me, pick it up on your own. Respond and let me know if you agree or disagree, or simply let this place serve as a forum for inspiration. At the end of the day, that's what I think all books hope for, to inspire their readers. To take them away for just a few moments or a few hours from the world that makes us "the busy and the tired."


Remember that reading shouldn't be a chore. If I've learned anything as an English teacher and reader myself, it's that nothing stifles a love of reading like doing it because you have to. If a book doesn't tickle your fancy, put it down. There are about 1 billion others to choose from. A book should transport you, help you see things from a different view, break you, build you. What it shouldn't do is bore you. So go fearlessly into the world of reading with me and maybe, just maybe, it will bring one of you back from the brink of becoming what we in the education world call "alliterate" (being able to read but choosing not to). 

Book of the Month Club

Comments